Our multidisciplinary team, led by a rehabilitation physician, establishes realistic goals with patients and their families for each step along the way of the rehabilitation continuum. Patients and their families are integral members of the team and participate in the development of the treatment plan. The goals of our program are individualized to maximize independence, and include the following:
- Improve mobility and transfer techniques through training in walking, the use of wheelchairs and assistive devices.
- Improve patients' self-care skills in bathing, dressing and feeding.
- Increase patients' and families' knowledge about the recovery and rehabilitation process, and prepare them for lifestyle adjustments.
- Establish independence in bowel and bladder function.
- Educate patients regarding secondary health issues.
- Maximize patients' ability to communicate verbally and resume normal swallowing function.
- Attain highest level of cognitive function possible.
- Establish plan for nutrition and medication management. Educate patients and families regarding care giving skills and establishing realistic expectations for family life.
Our program is designed for patients with the following diagnoses:
- Hemorrhagic and non-hemorrhagic stroke
- Other Vascular Diseases
Approach to Care
Cerebral vascular disease and stroke patients are faced with a multitude of
complex problems. Our approach to care includes:
- Physical therapy to improve mobility and training in walking as well as the use of assistive devices.
- Occupational therapy to improve self-care skills and enhance independent living.
- Rehabilitation nursing to educate in nutrition, medication management, bowel and bladder function, sexuality and skin management.
- Patient education regarding management of diabetes and other secondary health issues.
- Cognitive rehabilitation to reestablish the ability to process information and communicate as well as improve intellectual function.
- Psychosocial support to help patients and their families adjust to changes in daily living.
Continuum of Care
Our program is designed to meet the individual needs of patients and their
families from pre-admission to community re-entry. Care is available on an
In-Patient and Out-Patient basis. Each patient's care plan is continuously
evaluated and adjusted as the patient progresses through the continuum of
care. We also provide specialized services which include:
- Board-Certified physicians
- Certified rehabilitation registered nurses
- Outdoor mobility court
- Activities of Daily Living suite
- Therapeutic indoor pool
- Community reintegration
- Driving rehabilitation
- Spasticity and pain management
- On-site support groups
- Referral service to appropriate resources and support systems
- Home evaluations to ensure a safe transition to the home environment
- Neuropsychologists /Neuro-optometrists
- Follow-up care will be scheduled for all patients with referring physician upon discharge
- Vital-Stim therapy for swallowing
- Functional electrical stimulation
For admissions information about our rehabilitation programs for stroke and
cerebral vascular disease, please call the Marlton Rehabilitation Hospital
Admissions Department at 856-988-4106.